The printer driver is unavailable error message triggered by HP printer when you are using incompatible or outdated driver. Sometimes a missing printer driver may also be the reason behind the problem because computer fails to recognize the printer. To fix HP printer driver unavailable error you should update the printer driver which is compatible with the latest version of Windows operating system(Windows 10). Apply the more detailed solution described below to get rid of this problem. You can also contact HP Printer Support team for instant and reliable support at your desk.
- Reinstall your printer driver
- Install all available Windows updates
Method 1: Reinstall your Printer Driver
Most probably, HP printer driver is unavailable error results due to a corrupt or mismatched printer driver. You just need to uninstall your current printer driver, then install the most updated correct driver to fix “Printer driver unavailable” error on HP printer. Here is the step how to do so.
- Go to Control Panel and click on Devices and Printers.
- Right click on your printer and click Remove device.
- Press Windows key + R to open Run box.
- Type devmgmt.msc and click OK .
- Find and right click on printer and select “Uninstall device” option.
- Click “Uninstall” if you are asked to confirm.
- Now wait for at least 10-15 minutes and plug everything back and let the system detect and install the required drivers.
Now print a test page to check whether the error is resolved or not. If your system does not detect the printer driver automatically then update the driver manually.
How to Reinstall Latest Drivers Manually?
- Open Run box by pressing Windows key + R.
- Type devmgmt.msc and click Ok.
- Click on Print queues to open drop down menu.
- Right click on your printer and select Update driver.
- Now select Browse my computer for driver software and proceed.
- You will navigated to Microsoft website and download the package “wushowhide.diagcab”.
- Run the package and click Next.
- Next choose Hide updates option.
- Select the printer update and continue (if any).
Method 2: Install all Available Windows Updates
If it is been a while since you updated your Windows, that is the main reason why Windows says your HP printer driver is unavailable. Here are the steps how to do a Windows Update to install all accessible operating system update.
Steps to Install Updates on Windows 10
If you are accessing Windows 10, then these steps are for you.
- Hit the Start menu and write update. After that, click on the “Check for updates” option.
- Tap on the “Check for updates” option.
- After clicking on that option, Windows will install the updates automatically.
- When Windows completes all its updates, start your computer again and attempt to print a file to check if your printer works.
Steps to Install Updates on Windows 7
If you are using Windows 7, then try these steps.
- Tap on the Start button, write update in the search box and hit on the “Check for updates” option.
- Click on the “Check for updates” option.
- Hit the “Install updates” option.
- When Windows has installed all its updates, start your computer again and go for print a file to check if your printer works.
So, these are the easiest steps to get rid of this problem. In case, you want technical support, our expert will be available on HP Online Chat. You can connect with them. They will sort out HP printer driver is unavailable error easily.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What does it mean when the driver is unavailable on printer?
The error “Printer driver is unavailable” indicates that either your printer driver is outdated or not compatible. Sometimes it also means that the printer driver is corrupt and the computer will not be able to recognize it. If you wish to correct this error, then re-install your printer drivers.
How do I make my printer driver available?
Printer errors such as windows failed to recognize the new downloaded printer drivers and software, which is the common one. In such cases, either printer driver was not installed properly or maybe your printer drivers are outdated. to make driver available reinstall your printer drivers once again.
How do I install the HP printer driver?
- Go to 123.hp.com/setup and select your printer
- Download the printer driver
- Open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the HP printer driver.
- When the HP printer drivers are successfully installed, now you need to hit the Finish button.