Effective Fixes for the Boot Device Not Found HP Error
HP laptops are known for their high performance. However, sometimes, they can throw up sudden error messages on the screen, which may take the users by surprise. One such message that users often encounter is the boot device not found HP. The whole message reads as ‘Boot device not found. Please install an operating system from your hard disk.’
This message shows up when you try to start your laptop. Confused users are left wondering what to do. But there are ways to get past it. In this article, you’ll find out about this error in more depth.
Reasons for the Boot Device Not Found HP Error
This issue is possibly the result of numerous causes. Here are the chief factors contributing to it.
- A misconfiguration of Intel Optane memory.
- The bootable disk is corrupted.
- Corrupted system files another cause of this error message.
- You are booting for an unbootable disk.
- A malware attack.
- Damaged MBR on the bootable hard drive.
How to Fix HP Laptop Boot Device Not Found?
This issue is prevalent in various models of HP, especially in its All-in-One Desktop PC Series. Here are different procedures to rectify this error.
Correct the Misconfigured Intel Optane Memory
A misconfigured Intel Optane memory needs to be configured. Follow these steps to correct it.
- After restarting your computer, hit ‘F2.’
- Press this key repeatedly till you enter the ‘HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.’
- Choose ‘Component Tests‘ followed by ‘Hard Drive‘ and then ‘Quick Test.’
- Choose the ‘C: Drive‘ and tap ‘Run Once.’
- If the drive can pass every test, disable ‘Legacy Support‘ below ‘Boot Options.’
- Now restart your system again and keep pressing ‘F10‘ again till you enter the bios Setup Utility.
- Go to ‘Configuration‘ followed by ‘UEFI HII Configuration’ and then ‘Intel(R) Storage Technology.’
- Now, you will see Optane listed.
- Conduct F11 recovery by restarting your computer.
- Choose ‘Troubleshoot‘ followed by ‘Recovery Manager.’
- Now, opt for ‘System Recovery.’
- Choose ‘Backup Your Files First (Recommended).’ Tap ‘Next‘ and finish the recovery.
Conduct a Hard Reset
If you still find the HP boot device not found error message, you should perform a hard reset. It will allow your device to re-establish the software connections between hardware and BIOS. Here are the instructions to carry out a hard reset.
- Switch off your laptop. Ensure that you take it away from any docking station.
- Now, disconnect external devices from your system. Then, take out the AC adapter.
- Take away the battery of the device as well.
- Hold and press the Power button for 15 seconds.
- Now, put the battery inside and plug your AC adapter into the system.
- At this time, you don’t need to connect any peripheral devices such as printers or USB storage devices.
- Switch on your system.
- When it opens, choose the ‘Start‘ menu and select ‘Start Windows normally.’
Buy Another Hard Drive and Install a New Version of the Windows OS.
In case you have a broken hard disk, you’ll face the boot device not found HP laptop error message. So you must purchase a new hard drive. Then, install an updated version of the Windows operating system. However, you need to ensure that you back up all the data from the old drive to the new one. This process may take some time but is quite essential. It will also allow you to work on your laptop without facing this error.
Use the HP Recovery Manager
You can download HP Recovery Manager by going to the official site of HP. Then run system recovery with it to troubleshoot this error.
- Switch off your system. Disconnect all the linked cables and devices.
- After switching off the system, press F11 a few times till you see the ‘Choose an option’ screen.
- Here, tap ‘Troubleshoot‘ and choose ‘Recovery Manager.’
- Tap’ System Recovery‘ below ‘Help.’
- When you are asked to back up your files, choose ‘Backup your files first (Recommended).’
- Now, adhere to the instructions of the wizard to finish this process.
- After returning to the System Recovery screen, tap ‘Next.’ It will begin recovery preparation.
- After the preparation finishes, tap ‘Continue.’
- During this time, your PC will restart many times.
- After the system recovery finishes, restart your computer by tapping ‘Finish.’
- You’ll need to wait for some time till the setup finishes. After it’s done, switch off your system, reconnect cables and devices and switch on the computer. Most probably, you’ll not find yourself troubled by this problem.
Reset Your System to the Last Saved Configuration
If your computer is configured to boot from an unbootable disk, you must restore it to the last saved configuration. This can be accomplished by restoring BIOS to default settings.
- Switch off your system and wait for around 10 seconds.
- Now, start the system again.
- Press the F10 key a few times till you see the BIOS setup menu.
- Hit F9 on the screen of BIOS setup to load the default BIOS setup settings.
- Save the changes and exit the window by pressing F10.
- Choose ‘Yes.’
- When prompted to exit saving changes, hit Enter.
- Now adhere to the instructions on your screen to start your system again.
- If your system is able to start again normally, the problem has been fixed.
Rebuild the MBR
You may complain that ‘my HP says boot device not found’ in case of a damaged MBR. Here are the steps to troubleshoot it.
- Navigate to ‘Windows Recovery‘ by pressing FB.
- Now, tap ‘Advanced‘ followed by ‘Command Prompt.’
- Input these commands in the window of Command Prompt
- Reboot and see if the error still remains.
As you can see, there are many reasons that are behind the boot device not found HP error message. But there are also many troubleshooting methods you can implement to fix this error message. Follow them in a stepwise manner and see which one fully resolves the issue for you. If you need more assistance if this error, it’s best to get in contact with an email technical support service.